Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Quick and Easy Home Made Gifts


Harry had a very busy Sunday a couple of weeks ago as we had been invited to a second birthday party in the morning and a first birthday in the afternoon. In my pre Harry days I would have spent ages decorating little biscuits for my friends children, but with time being a bit more precious, these easy but still cute shortbread cookies were the quick version of decorated cookies.

A set of number shaped cutters are a great thing to have on hand to make quick and easy birthday gifts. These cookies were obviously for the two year old’s present. I simply made the shortbread in the number 2 shapes, whipped up a batch of royal icing (I whisk an egg white until frothy and then whisk in the desired amount of icing sugar – this kind of icing is less runny than glace icing and also sets to a nice thick consistency) and sprinkled over “boy” coloured sprinkles. The one year old party was for a girl and I made Number 1 shaped cookies and sprinkled them with pink sprinkles. In the past I have also made these for adult presents (a bag of 5s and 0s for a 50 year old, 3s and 0s for a thirty year old etc. Even just decorating the cookies with coloured icing gives some impact.

7 comments:

tamz said...

Great idea, love it Tammy! Do you mind sharing your shortbread cookie recipe? They look delicious!

TeaLady said...

Cute 2's!!

Cakelaw said...

Wonderful idea Tammy. I give edible gifts for Xmas, but don't see why I can't expand this idea to other occasions.

Katrina said...

Hi Tammy - fantastic idea. Would love to have your shortbread recipe!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is OK with you and your family.

Zeetra said...

Hi Tammy,

I wanted to see if everything was ok? You havent posted in a wee while.

I hope all is well for you,hubby and Harry...

Take care

Zeetra xxx

Anonymous said...

Is everything ok Tammy,we haven't heard from you for a while.

Miss your posting on my favouite blog.