Friday, July 23, 2010

TWD rewind - Brrrownies


Last week’s TWD recipe was Brrrrownies – the extra “rrrr”s in the word brownies, referring to the fact that the brownies have chunks of peppermint patties in them and have that “brrrr” flavour to them that peppermint things tend to have. We don’t have peppermint patties in NZ and I was curious to know what would be the next best thing. I googled images of peppermint patties and also asked a friend who has spent quite a bit of time in the states – it seems that the closest thing to peppermint patties would be after dinner mints, so I bought a packet and started baking.

The brownie recipe is a straight forward one and made a lovely rich, fudgey brownie. The addition of after dinner mints (in my case) is inspired! I chopped the mints in half and folded them into the brownie mixture which resulted in the mints melting into the brownie leaving the occasional glimpse of white. I loved these brownies – the mint flavour was enough to make the brownies have a very fresh taste which was welcoming against the richness of the chocolate brownie. I cut the brownie into smallish pieces, freezing most of it, but I have to be honest and say that the brownie also tasted very good frozen and it didn’t last long in our house (in fact I think it was less than 24 hours!)

The only thing holding me back from making these time and time again is the cost of after dinner mints – I used a whole box and a box costs over $6. By the time you add in the cost of the chocolate for the brownie mixture and then the other ingredients you are looking at somewhere around $10 which is ok for a pudding you may take somewhere, but a bit expensive for an everyday piece of baking to have in the tins. You should try them though – you can find the recipe here.

7 comments:

Becs said...

Oh this looks divine!I remember seeing something similar on foodtv a while ago and loved the look of it...think I will have to splurge on a box of ADMs!

Zeetra said...

Oh yum, Tammy, they look delish.

I was wondering after looking at the recipe.. can you use a normal brownie recipe and then add the after dinner mints? Would it turn out ok?

Nessie @ bakingequalslove said...

Yum! Mint and chocolate are a match made in heaven! How did you stop yourself from eating all the dinner mints before putting them in the baking?? :)

Anonymous said...

How can we get this recipe Tammy?

Nickki said...

Your brownies look so good! I couldn't find York peppermint patties either so I just used a good brand of after dinner mint cremes. They were perfect!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, I agree that this recipe was a little on the expensive side. We have peppermint patties made by Nestle here, but even at the supermarket, these cost $1 each (for a mere 20g pattie). They tasted good though, and yours look delicious.

Tammy said...

Zeetra, I am sure you could use your favoruite brownie recipe and add the after dinner mints

Anon, if you click on the word "here" at the end of the post it will link you to the recipe - or here it is again http://ourcrazyblessedlife.blogspot.com/2010/07/twd-brr-ownies-and-my-1000-post.html

Tammy