Wednesday, July 21, 2010

TWD - Lots of Ways Banana Cake


This week’s TWD recipe is lots of ways banana cake and was chosen by Kimberly of Only Creative Opportunities. This name of this cake is pretty self explanatory – it is a very versatile banana cake that can be made using a variety of ingredients, depending on what you have on hand. The recipe makes two 22cm round cakes which can be sandwiched together. I halved the recipe and made one cake, leaving it plain so I could cut it into wedges and freeze it for husband for the week (although I imagine that this cake would be a good keeper).

I stuck to the suggestion of adding thread coconut to the banana cake. This made the cake extremely moist. Other suggested add ins were dried fruit, other nuts and I bet chocolate chips would be nice too. I didn’t have any coconut milk, so I used sour cream as my liquid component, but you could also substitute buttermilk or natural yoghurt. Dorie flavoured her cake with rum or Malibu – I don’t like rum, so just added some coconut essence (I wouldn’t have added this if I had used coconut cream to make the cake). This was an easy cake to make, but also very easy cake to eat. I think we ate about 1/3 of it warm straight from the oven unadorned. As I mentioned, the rest went in the freezer, but it would be great served as a dessert with whipped cream, or even iced with a coconut flavoured icing and topped with more coconut. I would definitely make this cake again.

See if the other TWDers enjoyed the cake here.

6 comments:

Linda said...

This cake freezes really well, so it sound like you hubs has a wonderful treat waiting for him in the freezer.

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks great - I love the simplicity of it.

Amanda said...

I agree, definitely a good cake! :) This was my farewell post with TWD after almost two years of baking along. Hope you'll stop by and say goodbye!

Judy said...

This is such a versatile cake. It's good that there is so much freedom to use a variety of ingredients. Your cake looks especially delicious.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Great looking cake! Thanks for baking with me this week.

TeaLady said...

looks moist and delicious.