Tuesday, October 6, 2009

TWD - Split Level Pudding


This week’s TWD recipe was chosen by Garett of Flavour of Vanilla and is Split Level Pudding. This is a recipe I have been looking forward to making for a long time – Dorie explains it as being a recipe that appeals to vanilla lovers and chocolate lovers alike.

You will have to forgive the poor photography – I made the puddings late in the day on Sunday and by the time I went to photograph them all natural light had gone and I just couldn’t get them to look as good as they tasted.

The split level pudding is a layer of chocolate ganache topped with a set vanilla custard. I made a third of the recipe and made the puddings in two high ball glasses. This made enough for a medium sized pudding each for my husband and me. The pudding was made with the aid of a food processor – you blended the egg yolk, sugar and cornflour with hot milk and then thickened it over a medium heat on the stove. You were then meant to blitz the pudding in the food processor and add some vanilla and butter. Me being me, I only skim read the recipe and had dismantled and put away my food processor before my pudding had thickened. So, I just whisked the pudding like mad once it came off the stove. I didn’t add the butter because I didn’t really think that the pudding needed it.

I enjoyed this pudding. I think the chocolate ganache was a wonderful addition (maybe I am a chocolate not a vanilla girl?), as you could dip your spoon in for a small addition of the chocolate to eat with a spoon of vanilla pudding, rather than getting an overt chocolate flavour. I would make this again, but next time I think I would make more ganache so that the ratio of chocolate to vanilla was more like 40:60 rather than about 20:80.

See what the other TWDers thought here.

10 comments:

Hindy said...

I agree - next time I'll make more ganache so there's some for every spoonful. Lovely glass!

Cakelaw said...

Glad that you liked the pudding Tammy and that it worked for you. It was a good thing you didn't reprocess it - it was unnecessary and just messed it up.

Jules Someone said...

This looks good. It wasn't so successful at my house.

Leslie said...

More ganache is always a good thing. Yours looks great, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

haha--i threw my food processor into the sink and ran water into it, only to realize i was supposed to precess it again...oh, whatever! i agree that the ganache was the tastiest part!

Romaine said...

Loss of daylight is often a challenge for me too. But your pudding still looks good!

Anonymous said...

Yup, I did the same. Tossed the food processor into the sink and ran hot water over it before the last step. And I had even read the entire recipe ahead of time. Oops.

Charli said...

It looks so pretty in the glasses even though the lighting is unfortunate! (and shhh...I didn't use the food processor at all...)

Melissa said...

I didn't bother with the food processor, and it worked out great. I'm with you, though - definitely needed more ganache. More chocolate is always a good thing!

I'm having problems with lighting, too. My pictures look like they were taken in a post-apocalyptic landscape. Sad thing is, it was the brightest day that week, too!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it!