Friday, April 24, 2009

Anzac Cookies


Tomorrow is Anzac Day – the day which commemorates Australian and New Zealand troops landing on the shores of Gallipoli in World War one – April 25, 1915. Anzac biscuits are the biscuits sent to the men at war by the women back home – they are made with oats and golden syrup and are particularly hardy, meaning that they could be sent to the other side of the world. Anzac Day is a special day for most New Zealanders and for me it is the day I think of my great grandfather, who I never knew, but was wounded in the battle of the Somme and my granddad who died when I was 11, but who served the entire 6 years of WW II. I cant imagine going off to war as a 19 year old and coming back 25 – it must have been horrific.

I made these anzac biscuits before we moved back into our house. They are crunchy, but chewy and quite moreish. Best served with a glass of milk! The recipe is on my blog here.

9 comments:

tamz said...

thanks so much for posting, tammy, they look scrumptious! i've been wanting to find a good recipe for these!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history, it's interesting learning. Your cookies look wonderful.

Elyse said...

These biscuits sound delicious! Your great grandfather and grandfather sound like wonderful men. I'm so glad that these cookies and the holiday allow you a chance to reflect upon their amazing service!

Cakelaw said...

Great looking Anzacs - I ilke both chewy and crispy Anzacs. They're homey, comforting and delicious.

Snooky doodle said...

oh these look ddelicious.

Jacque said...

I just saw a recipe for ANZAC cookies the other day and thought I should try them.

They do look hearty, for sure!

Mermaid Sews said...

These look great. Thanks for the history lesson, I had no idea.

Mermaid Sews said...

Can't wait to see the final kitchen. I just hate it when recipes don't turn out like you'd like them to. I just had that experience with a sprinkles strawberry cupcake recipe.

lauren said...

Yummo! I love Anzac Biscuits. I also made some over the Anzac Day weekend. I used the recipe from Allyson's book (I went out & bought it after reading about it the other week on your blog!) I thought they were quite nice. Although they have quite a large amount of butter in them so I think I like the Australian Womens Weekly recipe better - it uses a little less. Hope the kitchen is coming along nicely!