Thursday, March 5, 2009

Waste not Want not


A few weeks ago when I was making the cakes for my friend’s daughter’s 21st, I had a mishap – my excuse was that it was a really hot day and I wasn’t concentrating and when I made the first of the cakes, I think I left out half of the flour. This resulted in a rather flat, but still dense and delicious chocolate cake - more of the features of a chocolate brownie. I have actually heard a story that that was how brownie was invented – someone accidentally left out an ingredient when they were making a chocolate cake and ended up with brownie.



Anyway, I obviously couldn’t use the dud cake as the 21st cake, so I put it in a zip lock bag and stuck it in the freezer. I thought I would use it for pudding one day or maybe to make into truffles. It was my business partner’s birthday last week and as I was thinking about what to make him, I thought about the cake/brownie in the freezer. I thought about making truffles from it, but then decided that the cake was delicious by itself and why not dip pieces of it into chocolate. So, that’s what I did and these brownie bites were born. Extraordinarily decadent bites of chocolaty deliciousness! I think I may have started a new craze!



Dinner last night was chicken, loosely based on a recipe from Cuisine magazine. I used chicken breasts and marinated them in a mixture of zhatar (a North African spice mix including dried thyme and sesame seeds), ground cardamom, chopped garlic and olive oil. Instead of pan frying them I baked them in the oven at 180c for about 17 minutes. To go with them I made a bulgar wheat salad – I actually like bulgar wheat better than cous cous as it has a nuttier texture. I treat bulgar wheat in the same way as cous cous, pouring over boiling water and letting it steam for about 15 minutes (it takes a bit longer than cous cous). To that I added chopped dates (leftover from the cake I made for this weeks TWD), chopped basil, a tbsp of whole grain mustard, a drizzle of olive oil, some zucchini sliced thinly with a potato peeler and the juice of half a lemon. I then thinly sliced some zucchini into rounds, pan fried them with some chopped garlic and then threw in some cherry tomatoes for the last couple of minutes. Very delicious!

3 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Those brownie bites look marvellous - wish my mistakes looked like that!

Elyse said...

Just goes to show that accidents make delicious treats, and man do these look delicious!

Snooky doodle said...

those bites still look yummy :)