Monday, March 30, 2009

Cookie Carnival - Carrot Cake Cookies


This month’s ccokie carnival recipe is for carrot cake cookies. These are almost like cookie shaped carrot cakes – they are not at all crisp like a typical NZ biscuit would be, but are totally cakey – a bit like the whoopee pies we made for a cookie carnival challenge last year. This wa a great pick for me as I've never made cookies like this before. My preference is for crisp style cookies, but there is something about these ones which makes you want to keep eating them.

The cookies were subtly cinnamon spiced and had as well as grated carrot, chopped walnuts and raisins. I didn’t have quite enough walnuts so I used a mixture of walnuts and hazelnuts and I don’t like raisins, so I left them out. The cookies were joined together with cream cheese filling made by simply beating together cream cheese and honey. I really liked this as with no icing sugar addition it meant that the cream cheese filling retained a tart flavour. I have sent these cookies onto the building site today – it will be interesting to see what the tradespeople think of them. Speaking of which, we now have a kitchen carcass which is pretty exciting. We move in in less than two weeks and more than likely wont have a bench top until mid to late April, but I can live with a piece of ply across the bench top for a few weeks!

You can check out the cookie carnival here.

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I made these too They were good however I too prefer crispy cookies :)

Cakelaw said...

These look interesting, but I am with you - I like my cookies to be crisp.

Elyse said...

These cookies look totally fabulous. What a great way to take one of the best types of cakes and turn it into an easy to make treat. Plus, I love the use of honey with the cream cheese frosting. Delicious!

Karen said...

The softness made them taste more like cake than a cookie, I think. I thought they were great!