Monday, February 9, 2009

Cookie Carnival - February


Yesterday was one of the hottest of the summer I think. It was just beautiful! We spent the afternoon at Cheltenham beach, me reading and my husband watching the Louis Vuitton sailing regatta in the harbour. Bliss!!! But in the morning I did get the chance to make this month’s cookie carnival recipe which is chocolate fudge cookies with toffee and dried cherries. How wonderful do they sound!! I thought these would be something the builders would really enjoy. Well, my husband and I enjoyed them a lot as well!

These are excellent cookies – they have the perfect combination of fudginess with crispness. I used dutched cocoa to make them lovely and dark and they also have chocolate chips in them. The toffee contribution is toffee chips – we cant get toffee chips in New Zealand, but when the lovely Sarah sent me over some peanut butter chips from the States she also sent me a bag of Heath’s toffee chips. I hadn’t opened them up until yesterday – thankfully as I probably would have eaten the whole bag before being able to bake with them. The bag I have are combined with milk chocolate and are absolutely divine!! I was so pleased to be able to make these cookies with the real thing!

I used the “razz” dried cherries that you find in the bulk bins of the supermarket. I actually think that these are cherries dried in some sort of juice. They have a delicious tangy taste and almost taste like lollies. I cut the cherries in half to make them a better size for the cookies.

We loved these cookies and I will definitely be making them again. Seeing as I wont be able to get toffee chips in the future, I figured I could make my own toffee and pulverise it to get a kind of similar effect.

7 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Ooooh. I was on the fence about these cookies, but now I have to make them. Heath bits are lovely and convenient, but destroying a few of them to make bits is a stress reliever.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your cookies look perfect and delicious.

Cakelaw said...

These look absolutely scrummy - I like dried cherries, because they not only taste good, but are kinda pretty because of their colouring.

Elyse said...

Your cookies look delicious! I'm with you: I think toffee chips are addictive, and any recipe into which I can incorporate them, I'm happy!

Snooky doodle said...

wow you ve already done this month s cookie carnival. I m still trying to find the toffee bits and dried cherries which propably mine would be a bit different. Your cookies look delicious and fudgey yummy

Anonymous said...

perfect as always.. Now what are you going to do with all yur lovely scrummy baking when your house is finished?????

Jin Hooi said...

yummy !! your cookies look great !!