Monday, January 19, 2009

Practice makes perfect....


This year I really want to practice my cake decorating skills. One thing I must remember though is to give myself
enough time!! I decided on Thursday to make these dress cookies for a friend’s birthday on Friday. That was not giving myself enough time – especially seeing as my favourite programme, Criminal Minds, (actually this is the only tv programme I religiously watch at the moment – I am looking forward to Brothers and Sisters coming back!) was on Thursday night as well, so I had to get everything done by 8.30pm.

As soon as I got home from work I made the shortbread dresses and when they were cold I covered them in fondant and made the wee flowers. I did make some royal icing to pipe some more detail on the cookies, but irritatingly I coloured it too dark and by that time it was 8.25, so the cookies are very plain. I was still pleased with them, but it is a reminder to give myself enough time!

We have been enjoying lots of salads over the summer. My favourite is a simple baby spinach salad with avocado and almonds and a dressing made with olive oil, Dijon mustard and raspberry vinegar. We had that last night with meatballs that I spiced with allspice, Dijon mustard, basil and mint and cous cous to which I added dried cranberries, feta, basil, pinenuts and a little Dijon mustard and raspberry vinegar. Very yummy and very quick and easy to make!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they are charming just as they are! Don't forget less is more.
Stephanie X

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cookies! I think they are great. You could sell them.

Anonymous said...

Yes Tammy - I agree with Stephanie. I think the little flowers stand out more on the plainer background. Sometimes it's a good thing that we are limited in the time as it stops us 'fiddling' and wondering 'should I perhaps do this/that'. When I started scrapbooking I had to train myself to think 'keep it simple'. What a lovely present. I am sure your friend felt very special. X Raewyn

Cakelaw said...

So cute! I love your cookies - they are always devine.