Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Trying them all out.....


It seems that builders like cookies the best and despite my attempts at some interesting baking, chocolate chip cookies have remained a favourite. I have made double batches of my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe made with condensed milk, but have also tried some other varieties.

The cookie pictured above is meant to be a chocolate, apricot and almond cookie. The recipe came from Dish magazine. However, they didn’t turn out as I had hoped. The method was to heat the golden syrup, butter and sugar together and then pour over the dry ingredients. I obviously didn’t leave my hot mixture to cool for ling enough, as the heat melted my chocolate chips, giving me just chocolate cookies rather than chocolate chip cookies. The cookies were also very soft and I don’t really like soft cookies – I like some crunch somewhere. I won’t make these again.



The second cookie was great. It is a double chocolate cookie from Nigella Lawson’s book, Nigella Express. The cookie is almost like a brownie in cookie form, as it is dense and fudgy and almost a little cake like. There is a degree of crunch, but only in that it envelopes the fudginess inside. The perfect accompaniment is a glass of milk. These will be made again.



Lastly there is the chocolate chip and salted cashew cookie. I bought cashew nuts especially to make this recipe after seeing it on Peabody’s blog. I love nuts and I was lucky to have enough left to make the cookies. These cookies had a good combination of crispiness and chewiness. I can’t say that I love them though or that I will be racing to make them again. I actually found them a little sugary – I did cut back on the sugar, but it was still too much for me.

If you have a favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe, please let me know!

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

these all look delicious to me. But the chocolate one in the middle are over the top . I ll have to try these :)

lauren said...

I think your Nigella cookies look delightful! Personally, I love the chocolate biscuits (Sante Biscuits they used to be called) in the good old Edmonds Cookery Book. From memory, they have a bit of condensed milk in them too. Yum yum!!

Anonymous said...

Oohhh cookie cookie cookkiiess ^^! The cracking on the Nigella cookies look so gooodd but they all look delicious mmmmm

Cakelaw said...

The chcoolate/apricot/almond ones sound good, even if they didn't turn out as you'd hoped. All of them look yummy - as I said, I wanna be a builder at your place!