Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Using up the marmalade


It is great now that the builders have started on our house, as it is a great excuse to do some baking (although many would argue that I don’t need an excuse!). However, we are now mostly packed before we move out of the house in two weeks, and that also means that most of my cook books and magazines have been packed. I made a compromise with my husband, agreeing to pack up most of my books other than a select few (I chose about 8) on the basis that I could take my magazines with me. So, that is it for the next 6 months or so (other than those that I buy along the way of course!).

On Sunday one of the things I chose to bake for the builders was marmalade loaf, using a Julie Le Clerc recipe which I pulled from a magazine a while ago (I have not packed my two boxes full of clipped and printed recipes!). The loaf was so easy to make and made a lovely moist loaf. It is basically a madeira style loaf with the addition of 1/3 c marmalade. Any marmalade would do, but I used one I made last year that is orange, almond and rose water marmalade. It was the perfect marmalade for this recipe as the almonds added a bit of interest and the hint of rose water was just perfect. I topped the loaf with a simple lemon glaze – orange glaze would have been nice, but I didn’t have any fresh oranges.

Dinner last night was a baby spinach and asparagus risotto - I love asparagus and so look forward to this time of year when it is plentiful. I added a little blue cheese to the risotto which was yummy, and we actually had it with some canned red canadian salmon on top. Very nice!



Marmalade Loaf (adapted from a Julie Le Clerc recipe)

175g butter
¾ c sugar
2 lg eggs
1/3 c marmalade
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder

· Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time
· Beat in marmalade, then stir in flour and baking powder
· Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin and bake at 170c for 45-60 minutes
· When cold, ice with a drizzle icing made from icing sugar and lemon or orange juice

3 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i love loaf cakes like this...so simple, but always fab! i'm in a similar boat to you...we'll be in temporary housing when we first get back to NYC, with our shipped items going into storage until we find our own place. i have to settle on a couple essential books and cooking supplies to take in my plane luggage to tide me over!

Cakelaw said...

This sounds wonderful _ I am a fan of marmalade, and my last marmalade cake (from Nigel S) was a bit of a disappointment because it sank rather badly in the middle. Will have to give this one a go.

Loie said...

It's a great cake! Really popular in my house :)

http://bake-it.blogspot.com/2008/11/cake-for-grandpa.html