Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Still on a mission...


A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how I am on a life long mission to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I also mentioned a recent article in the New York Times where the writer had gone on a similar mission. The article also gave a recipe for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, so I tried it out last week.



These are my NY Times cookies.

One of the keys with the recipe was to rest the cookie dough for 24 hours before baking. I did this, but I am not sure that it made a huge difference. The mixture was fairly dry anyway and I don’t know what the chilling added. I thought the cookies were really yummy, but I was still not convinced that they were the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

So, I took matters into my own hands, converting a recipe that I think had the perfect amount of crunch and chew, from a double chocolate cookie to a single chocolate chip cookie. This cookie is the one pictured at the top of this post. This cookie had all brown sugar – no white. I think it turned out really well. It had a certain amount of height and the ratio of crunch to chew was almost perfect. So far, this recipe is my favourite. Although, I have begun to wonder whether I actually prefer the condensed milk version of chocolate chip cookies, which is why I am having difficulty finding the perfect one made with eggs instead!

Almost Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

125g butter
1 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/3 c flour
¼ c self raising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c chocolate chips

· Beat butter and sugar and then stir in egg
· Mix in dry ingredients
· Place spoonfuls on tray and flatten slightly
· Bake at 160 for 15 minutes or until golden brown
Cool on trays for 10 minutes before moving to racks to cook completely

2 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

We're on the same mission at our house, inspired by the NYT article (which I have yet to make!) Now I'm adding your information to my quest...

Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

judi.0044 said...

Have you visited Anna at "Cookie Madness"? She tries many recipes and as I recall has chocolate chip ones. You may find some additional ideas. Enjoy reading yours and hope your winter won't be too rough.