Friday, June 6, 2008

Mini Banana Loaves



I have always loved Julie Le Clerc’s books and recipes. In fact when the Epicurean was open and did cooking classes, I was a helper and helped at the classes that Julie taught there. She is now cooking editor of the NZ Womens Weekly. I don’t buy that magazine, but when Julie became editor they started putting out a bi-annual cooking magazine. The latest edition came out in the weekend. I do find the recipes that Julie puts in the womens weekly and the bi-annual magazine a bit simplistic, but I am a compulsive buyer and I do like Julie’s style and this latest release has some great ideas in it.



In the weekend I tried the recipe for banana chocolate chip mini loaves. I had frozen some bananas about a month ago that had started to look a bit worse for wear in the fruit bowl, so pulled these out to use. The recipe was a classic Julie Le Clerc recipe –very easy to put together. It is really just a banana cake recipe with chocolate chips added. Instead of 100g butter, I used 1/3 c rice bran oil. The loaves are lovely and moist. They freeze well and I was generous with the chocolate chips, so they are naughty but nice!



Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Loaves (adapted from Julie Le Clerc recipe)

3 ripe bananas, mashed
¾ c sugar
1/3 c rice bran oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk
1 ½ c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 c chocolate bits

· Combine mashed banana, oil, egg , sugar, vanilla and milk
· Stir in dry ingredients, mixing only just to combine
· Spoon into mini loaf tins (I got 8 mini loaves and 2 small brioche tins)
Bake at 180c for 18-20 minutes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy your blog Tammy,and read it every day.If you ever tire of the law,you are well suited to food writing.Your photos of such beautifully presented food often prompts me to try the recipes.Thank you for such an enjoyable daily treat.

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of rice bran oil. For the first time I am able to eat banana cake - as I found the butter version too full on. Yum and thanks. Tania