Monday, June 9, 2008

Hay Hay It's Choux!



Hay Hay It’s Donna Day this month is hosted by Susana of Home Gourmets and the theme is choux pastry. I have never made choux pastry before and so was quite excited to try it out. I thought about making chocolate éclairs, but in the end used my choux pastry for a savoury offering, making gruyere gougeres.



We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night, so for nibbles to go with drinks I made little gruyere chouox puffs. Choux pastry is made by bringing water and butter to the boil, adding flour and then beating in eggs. Once my eggs were beaten in I added some grated gruyere cheese, spooned the little puffs onto a baking sheet, sprinkled them with more cheese and then baked them. When they came out of the oven I sprinkled them with a mixture of smoked paprika and sea salt.



These were so yummy! Very easy to make and great with pre-dinner drinks. Apparently they freeze quite well too – but we ate all of them! They are like eating a very airy version of a cheese puff. I will definitely be making these again and I would like to try different kinds of cheese as well.

Thanks Susana for the interesting challenge!

6 comments:

Suzana said...

Tammy, your choux look yummy, and certainly taste great. Thanks for entering HHDD!

Cakelaw said...

Yum! I have made sweet-filled choux buns, but I am now keen to try the savoury option too.

Anonymous said...

An interesting combination, they look great. I have done savoury before & filled with savoury flavoured mushrooms made nice & thick. Also nice. Lyn

Barbara said...

I like this style choux with pre dinner drinks also. Lovely Tammy.

Bron said...

With such pretty gougeres and pre-dinner drinks.. who needs dinner? I'd be very very happy with these, I can tell you that!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Great job on your first choux experience!