Monday, May 19, 2008

Quince Puddings



Last week we had friends over for dinner. Mid-week entertaining can be hard as you only have limited time to prepare. Some things you can prepare in advance, but it is good to have something that can cook in less than an hour. I had made a yoghurt and herb dip the night before which we had with pita crisps for nibbles. Our main was a boned lamb roast which I stuffed with a mixture of breadcrumbs, mint, pine nuts, dried apricots and cinnamon. We had it with cous cous and a really yummy salad which was rocket leaves, peas, mint leaves and feta with a honey, lemon juice and olive oil dressing tossed through.



Pudding was these little quince sponge puddings. They were so yummy. I made individual serves, as I think it is an easy way of making a simple dessert look as though you have gone to a bit more effort. The sponge in this pudding is more like steam pudding than the lighter fruit sponge Mum used to make from the Edmonds book. Instead of quince you could use any canned or bottled fruit – Black Doris Plums would be nice. I served the puddings with whipped cream and quince syrup but custard would also be nice.



Quince Puddings

125g butter
2/3 c sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp vanilla paste
1 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp mixed spice
1 ½ c cooked fruit and ½ c syrup

· Cream butter and sugar; mix in egg and then rest of ingredients
· Spoon fruit and some of its syrup into 6 greased ramekins
Spoon sponge mixture over fruit and bake for 20 minutes at 180c

2 comments:

Cakelaw said...

The lamb dish sounds delightful - I love spicy fruit and meat together.

Your quince puddings look delicious.

adele said...

That dinner sounds delicious, and it reminds me that I haven't made a proper pudding in forever. I don't know if I can find quince here, but rhubarb is coming into season, so I might try that.