Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cupcake Fun



In the weekend we went to Christchurch to visit my family. On Saturday night when my husband and Dad went to the rugby, Mum and I looked after my nephew and niece, Griffyn and Piper who are 6 and 4 and too adorable for words. We decided to make cupcakes and decorate them. Cupcakes are a great thing for kids to make. Griffyn and Piper loved measuring the ingredients and putting them in the bowl and mixing, and really loved the decorating at the end. Licking the bowl was another highlight!



I used the basic one egg chocolate cake recipe from the Edmonds cook book. It is a good one for every day cupcakes as it has little butter and only one egg so is very economical. We iced them with cream cheese icing which we tinted blue. The kids each had a wee bowl of pebbles and other small lollies and some hundreds and thousands and decorated their own cakes. They loved it!



The photos I took of the kids were pretty hopeless so here is a really lovely one of them that my sister took.



Last night for dinner we had fish which I roasted in the oven after brushing it with a paste I made with crushed garlic, olive oil and paprika. I served it with a really simple orzo salad which was orzo mixed through with baby spinach leaves, feta, some olive oil and lemon juice. Really simple but really yummy.

Just one more thing – I have written another article for the Foodlovers website on making old fashioned puddings more styley – you can see it here.

One Egg Chocolate Cake (Edmonds Book)

50g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 egg
½ c sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
few drops of vanilla
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in ¾ c milk

· Melt together butter and golden syrup. Beat in egg and then sugar
· Add remaining ingredients
· Spoon into cupcake cases (or into a lined 20 cm cake tin)
Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes at 170 c

3 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Mmmmm Cupcakes!!!

Cakelaw said...

A one egg cake is a valuable recipe to have - thanks.

Morven said...

You're such a cool Aunty! Seeing those cupcakes certainly put a smile on my face.