Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ramblings on apple cake and butter



My friend gave me a big bag of granny smith apples from her tree. I stewed most of them and we ate them with our porridge for breakfast last week, but I used some to make this walnut and apple slice. The recipe was one of those ones requested from a café in Taste magazine. The slice is very cakey with lots of sliced uncooked apples, walnuts and sultanas and lightly spiced with cinnamon and mixed spice. The cake was most delicious just warm out of the oven with a scoop of the left over dulche de leuche ice cream that I made a couple of weeks ago. But, it also kept quite well in a container in the pantry for a couple of days.

I was thinking about my lemon cream pie – I think the reason it is so yellow is because NZ butter is very yellow. I noticed when I made the butter cream for my perfect party cake, I couldn’t get a really white finish to the butter. I wonder if in the US butter isn’t as yellow as it is here?

Also, last night, I started the first night of an intensive Wilton cake decorating class. I am very excited. Last night was demonstration and then I have classes tomorrow night and two next week. Tonight I am making the cake I need to take with me to decorate tomorrow night. I think I will try Dorie’s perfection pound cake.

2 comments:

Morven said...

Tammy you are 100% correct about US butter. It's very pale and more like the colour of what our butter goes to when very well creamed and aerated. I thought the same about my Perfect Party Cake.

Glad to know this cake keeps for a few days. That's always useful information. It looks delicious.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, this slice sounds delicious. How funny - I started a short course in cake decorating on Tuesday night through TAFE. I can say without a doubt that I am NOT a talented cake decorator - it took me quite a while to understand how to make a paper piping bag, and one of my "plastic icing" leaves has already half dropped off its stem :(