Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Last night of cake decorating



Last Wednesday was my last night of the Wilton cake decorating class. I must say I absolutely loved the course. Kirsten, the instructor, was great – very patient and helpful and the other people doing the course were lovely. On the last night we learned how to do tulips and ribbons and then we practised our roses some more and decorated our final cake.



After a few false starts, I think I got the hang of doing my roses! I was really pleased with how they turned out. The cake I made was a variation suggested by Dorie Greenspan for the perfection pound cake – I did a vanilla and chocolate marbled cake which I split and filled with chocolate ganache and raspberry jam. I took it to work on Thursday. It was nice although as it was made on Sunday it was starting to dry out a bit.





My icing is a little wobbly but not too bad for an early attempt. Over the weekend I practised more roses and luckily hadn’t lost the knack! I am looking forward to practising more of the techniques I learned at the course.

6 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Wow - I'm jealous, I never did get the hang of roses, and yours look beautiful! Great looking cake!

Anonymous said...

Your cake is beautiful! I am jealous of your roses - they look so perfect! Mine are getting there, definitely the more I practice the better I get. We make our final cake tomorrow night.

~Zeetra~ said...

Hi Tammy, I simply love looking at your blog. Its give me such good inspiration to bake. But never turns out no where near as good as yours. Thanks for what you do, its fab.. Zeetra from Foodlovers...

Glenna said...

Wonderful job. It's really beautiful.

Gretchen Noelle said...

So gorgeous! I need lessons on how to do these kinds of things!

Cakelaw said...

This looks lovely! It is the kind of thing I want to learn, rather than how to make a sugar flower floral spray to stick into an iced fruitcake (which is what my course has been about so far).