Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Daring Bakers - LMP!



My third Daring Baker challenge is lemon meringue pie. This is actually something that I made for the first time last year. I compared the Daring Baker recipe with the recipe I had followed last year and they were pretty close. I had every intention of making little individual tarts just so that I would be doing something different to what I had done before, but time counted against me yet again! One little confession - the challenge was meant to have been posted yesterday (the 28th) but it was anniversary holiday here - I figure as NZ almost leads the way time wise, it is still the 28th in many parts of the world!!

I decided to take the pie into work for my birthday morning tea shout. The crust came together beautifully and I actually baked it the night before I filled it. I knew that the capacity of my tart tin (which is quite shallow) wouldn’t take the entire 5 egg filling specified in the recipe so I made 3/5th of the filling. It wasn’t quite as sweet as the recipe I had made previously and I’m not sure I liked the addition of 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla as I think it ever so slightly detracted from the lemon taste.

Instead of free-forming the meringue, I piped it on. It actually looked quite good – although it was a little browner on top than I would have liked. I put it on a platter and started to carry it down stairs when I realised that it would likely slide straight off the platter onto the floor of my car, so I carefully lifted it into a cake container.

I stopped at the supermarket on the way to work and bought some thickened cream and fresh blueberries. I imagined plating a slice up beautifully for my challenge. BUT, unfortunately the lemon meringue pie was not destined to be all in one piece. It was still kind of warm when I put it in the container at home and when I went to lift it onto a plate at work, the bottom collapsed!!! I was gutted!!!!! Luckily I had taken one (not very good) photo before I left home, but it was heartbreaking that my beautiful pie had to be scooped out of the container onto people’s plates!!!!

The reviews were still good though! Everyone really enjoyed it. The pastry was crisp, the filling tart and the meringue light – even though it was kind of de-constructed the taste was good and I guess that is what counts!

View the rest of the daring bakers (probably not de-constructed!!!) LMPs here.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Tammy - represent! Just a small thing I noticed - the original recipe (if it the one listed on one of the other blogs) only has 1/4 tsp vanilla - which would explain the detraction from the all-powerful lemon! When do you get to choose a theme or have I missed something - Lynley

Tammy said...

Hi Lynley

I used really good vanilla and I think that is what gave it the vanilla taste. Actually, it was when i licked the bowl that the flavour was pronounced!! When the filling cooled it wasnt quite as vanillary. Next time though I wouldnt add it.

The challenges are picked by people in order of when they became a daring baker. I dont think I will get to pick until about 2020!!!! :0)

Tammy said...

Hi again Lynley

Have just read on my post that I put 1 tsp vanilla, but I did follow the recipe!! I will amend my post :0)

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, your pie looks great! I love the piping - I bought a big piping bag to pipe the meringue, then chickened out. The scary part is always when you lift your pie/cake/tart from one dish to another, you always cross your fingers and hope it will be OK - it's happened to all of us!

Lis said...

No problem about posting on the 29th Tammy.. we're just so happy you found time to make the LMP - and a gorgeous one at that!

Well done!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I felt for you Tammy when your pie colapsed I had a similar thing happen too. I think your work collegues have tasted so much of your beautiful food before that they knew they were onto a winner anyway. It really looks lovely & interesting about the vanilla not being so compatible, I have never heard of it in a lemon pud before. Lyn

Anonymous said...

Nice looking! I loved this challenge :)

slush said...

Its beautiful! And your meringue is perfect. Great job Tammy!

Mary said...

How distressing to have your pie collapse! It looked great to begin with though!

Anonymous said...

Great LMP, Tammy. When I have to put a cake or pie in a container for taking somewhere I always place it on the inside of the lid, then use the container itself as the lid. Would this have helped? Stephanie T.

Gabi said...

Your meringue looks lovely! I think we've all have scoopable disasters at one point or another so I hope you don't feel too bad!
Nice job!
xoxo

Tammy said...

Hi Stephanie

I have done that before as well, but in this case the lid of teh container I used was rounded

Tammy

Miss Ifi said...

Awww, I am sorry that your pie collapsed, but hey.. it looked really nice in that picture!! Congratulations on the challenge

Deborah said...

It does look beautiful, even if it fell apart a little! Great job!

Unknown said...

When you end up with scoopable pie, I just call it parfait. :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Isn't life incredible Tammy. Your pie was beautiful. I'm sorry it deconstructed but so glad it was good to eat!! That is what counts.

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job on your lemon meringue pie!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Dolores said...

The taste is *absolutely* what counts... if people loved it, it was a success. I'm with Jenny... parfait!