Wednesday, December 19, 2007

florentines and a summer salad



More Christmas treats got made last night. I had actually made these Florentines in the weekend, but spread them with chocolate last night. The recipe came from the latest cuisine magazine. I am not usually a big Florentine person as I don’t like dried fruit or glace cherries or things like that, but these ones just had almonds in them, so they were pretty good!!!

I spread some of them with white chocolate and some with dark. I wanted to do the fork tines pattern, but to be honest had lost patience with the whole thing by then!!! It has been pretty humid the last few days and baking in the heat can be tiring!

Last night for dinner I made a smoked fish, new potato and broad bean salad for dinner. When I went to get the fish, they didn’t have any that appealed, so I nervously bought kippered hoki. The girl at the shop told me it is half cooked. So I put it on a baking tray and cooked it for about 12 minutes at 200. It was so delicious!!! I think I will buy it again instead of smoked fish as it wasn’t as dry as smoked hoki can be, but still had the delicious smoked flavour. I like to peel broad beans, so that you don’t have that tough grey outer skin. It really does make all the difference and doesn’t take as long as you might think. I combined the fish, new potatoes and broad beans with some rocket, chilli flakes, lemon juice, lemon infused olive oil and lots of cracked pepper. A really nice light meal after all the rich food we have been eating lately!




Almond Florentines

50g butter
50g castor sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
50ml cream
140g sliced almonds
dark or white chocolate to melt to spread the Florentines with

· Melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and cream together. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and stir in the almonds
· Leave for a few minutes and then place teaspoonfuls on trays
· Bake at 180 for 5 minutes, then push together if spreading with a small palette knife. Bake for a further 5 minutes
· When cold spread with chocolate

No comments: